Summer is a blessing for people from colder countries, yet it can be a horrible nightmare for people living in warmer countries where the temperature goes almost half of the boiling point.
Though modern technology has given us many amenities to cool off in summer, our power bill also soars, and not everyone can afford these privileges at home.
There are a few tips to cool yourself and your house to bearable limits.
- First, get lighter, wear cotton clothes and as less as possible. Choose loose and comfortable clothes so air can pass through them.
- To make your house cool, use a wet sheet hanging on your window so the air from there will pick chill from it, making the whole house cold.
- Another tip is to put some ice cubes in front of a fan or cooler.
- At night, cover yourself with a damp cotton sheet that will cool you off and help you get really good sleep.
- Whenever you feel hot, get into a cold shower or sit in the bathtub with ice cubes. It can be done easily with small children, especially by putting them in a small baby tub with cold water. It is playful and keeps their temperature down, and makes them happy.
- You can soak your feet in iced cold water while sitting and chatting with your neighbours or friends or doing any sitting job; just put a small tub near you and soak your feet in.
- Drink plenty of water and other fluids, including fruit juice, coconut water, glucose, etc. it will help keep your body clean, improve indigestion, and protect you from dehydration.
- If possible, take your kitchen outside, and try to cook outside so the house temperature will not rise. Put off electrical appliances if not in use.
- Sleep on the ground instead on the mattress. If you have more floors, avoid sleeping on the top floor; better to sleep on the ground floor or basement.
There are many more simple yet effective tips to cool you off; one needs to be creative and think of it as a money saver and fun too.