Vladimir Putin has burst on the communication media in 1999 when he became the acting President of Russia, and since then has occupied a prominent place in the world.
Vladimir Putin is two times Prime Minister of Russia, had a stint as the President of Russia from 2000 to 2008, and has again become the President of Russia in 2012 and continues in the office till date. Immensely popular within the country and known all over the world, it is impossible to deny his importance in Russia and in the world. Time magazine declared him ‘Person of the Year’ in 2007 and also listed him as a part of ‘100 most influential people in the world’, he is included in the list of world’s most powerful persons by Forbes as well. Putin has emerged as a powerful leader in the 1990s and since then has played an influential role that simply cannot be ignored.
- Birth, Parents and Education: Putin was born in Leningrad on 7th October, 1952. His parents were ordinary people with normal life, though it is a fact that his father was a staunch communist and an atheist and his mother was a religious person who influenced her son to go to Church regularly. The family lived a sparse life under the harsh economic conditions that prevailed after the end of the Second World War.
Putin studied in a public school and became a model student in his 6th grade when he decided that he wanted to make something of his life. He studied in the ‘Leningrad State University’ and focused on international law. He finished his college studies in 1975.
- Career: Much has been written about Putin’s career as a KGB officer, it is a fact that he joined the KGB, the secret service of Russia, in 1975, and was posted in Dresden in East Germany. Putin returned from Germany decided to join political arena, and eventually became an advisor to the Mayor of Saint Petersburg in 1990. From 1990 till present time, he continues to hold an important place in Russia.
o St. Petersburg: Putin held several important administrative jobs in St. Petersburg from 1990-1996.
o Moscow: He moved to Moscow in 1996 and till 1999 was active in administration, after 1999 he rapidly climbed the political ladder:
- 1997 – Deputy Chief of Presidential Staff for President Yeltsin
- 1998 – Chief of Main Control Directorate
- 1999 – Acting Prime Minister of Russian
- 1999-2000: Acting President after Yeltsin resigned
- 2000-2004: Became President of Russia
- 2004-2008: Elected and started second presidential term
- 2008-2012: Became Prime Minister of Russia
- 2012 till date: Elected as the President of Russia
- Domestic and Foreign policies: Putin, is responsible for turning Russia’s economy around, under his rule the country has seen a surge of economic growth and well being. This is the result of a judicious mixture of using private and public forces to help the industrial growth, particularly in the energy sector.
Under Putin’s regime, Russia has once again re-emerged as an important world power. He renewed relationship with China, developed good relations with the South American countries; in the Middle East he continues to support Iran and Syria, and yet maintains good relations with other Asian countries and Australia.
- Image and Personality: Putin has a strong personality with macho image, he plays all adventure sports is often photographed riding, driving a racing car or in a cockpit of a fighter jet.